Friday, May 29, 2009

Not Alone

This morning I am completely humbled. I've let several close friends know about what is going on with me and the support is amazing, but so too, are the stories they are sharing about their own struggles. Turns out a lot of people deal with depression and anxiety. While statistically I know that to be true, to actually have your friends spell it out makes it real. To all my like-minded friends, thank you for sharing your stories with me. It's helps more than I can express.

This brings up an interesting question for me: why don't more people share? Why are we living in a world where everything is supposed to be permissible (according to celebrities in CA anyway) but we are ashamed to open up about metal illness because of fear of being ridiculed. To use another celebrity correlation, Britney Spears has obviously had a bout with mental illness, but because of the negative speculation around it, she likely won't bring it up again...unless offered megabucks for book rights. (maybe I should write a book) When people are openly dealing with these issues it is usually because they have reached the point they can't hide it anymore. They've gone off the proverbial deep end. We all shake our heads, bless their hearts, and count them as crazy. Especially in the church where you can feel like your faith isn't strong enough if you don't constantly behave like your on spiritual Zoloft. Jesus wasn't always cheerful: "And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground" Luke 22:44
And yet, I can walk around church telling everyone "I'm blessed today, how are you?" When inside I might be a royal mess. Being sad doesn't mean you're not saved, we have to "work out our salvation" Phil 2:12 , meaning it a continual process.

I think to varying degrees everyone deals with depression. Doesn't mean we all need medication, but what I think it does mean is that we need to be a generation that can be open about these issues. Especially for women, talking helps, sharing helps. Our men, no matter how much they love us, can never fully understand because their brains don't work the same way (not to say they don't deal with this stuff too). So, if you've read this and have ever felt down, useless or just blah, don't be ashamed of it, share it, especially if you are standing on the other side. The world could use a few more stories of survivors. You don't know who you might help.

I found this verse the other night and it has become my mantra. Maybe it can help some else too.

"When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2